all the more I wish to see
in those blossoms at dawn
the face of a god
- Matsuo Basho
Other translators’ versions:
Still, I woud fain see
The god’s face
In the dawning cherry blossoms.
God of this mountain,
May you be kind enough
To show me your face
Among the dawning blossoms?
More than ever I want to see
in these blossoms at dawn
the god’s face
all the more I’d like to see it
with dawn coming to the blossoms:
the face of the god
How I long to see
among dawn flowers,
the face of God.
Chinese New Year’s just around the corner, a time for gathering, for celebrations, reunion of relations, food, angbaos, etc. For me it’d be as quiet as possible in respect for dear grandma who recently went home to be with the Lord :)
So here’s wishing all of you a Happy Chinese New Year with family, friends and loved ones!
1. The bandage was wound around the wound.
2. The farm was used to produce produce.
3. The dump was so full it had to refuse more refuse.
4. We must polish the Polish furniture.
5. He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6. The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7. Since there was no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
8. A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9. When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10. I did not object to the object.
11. The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12. There was a row among the oarsmen on how to row.
13. They were too close to the door to close it.
14. The buck does funny things when does are present.
15. A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16. To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17. The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18. After a number of injections my jaw got number.
19. Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
20. I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
21. How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
“Activity conquers cold, but stillness conquers heat.”
There is a swing within my heart
A playground blooming with life
While flowers wither and die,
Let the bush continue to burn.
Sunshine is limited to thirst
But peace embalms the heart
Even in the dark, upon will.
“One’s action ought to come out of an achieved stillness: not to be mere rushing on.”
While the day burns itself out,
May the intermittent night
Rest your souls
For long is the day
But eternal the heat can be
Where our hearts are not
“Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning.”
I love the Light of Your Eyes
That pierces from Your Heart
Flowing through my soul
New life, new heart, new eyes.
“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
With Everything, including my stillness. Your possessions.
May my life sing of You, grace unbounded.